A A A
  • Deutsch
  • Polska
Thursday, 23 November 2017, Nameday: Adeli, Klemensa

Famous Krosno natives

Paweł z Krosna (Paul of Krosno) (1470/74-1517)
Poet, humanist, born in Krosno in the Proczlers’ patrician family; student of the Cracow Academy and the University of Gryfla in Pomorze (Pomerania) (today: Greiswald). Between 1507-1516 lecturer of classic literature at the Cracow Academy. A teacher of Jan Dantyszek and Jan of Wiślica, author of lyric poetry, epigrams, religious verses and panegyrics; translator of Latin authors such as Virgil and Ovid. His works include more than 12 books containing, among others, Lukan, Plaut, Liwius, about four thousand poems. One of the Krosno streets bears his name today. In 1935, a book by Józef Krukierek, entitled Paweł z Krosna na tle epoki (Paul of Krosno in the Context of His Era) was published under the imprint of Krosno Municipality.

Stanisław Oświęcim (ca 1605-1657)
Nobleman, courtier of King Vladislaw IV Vasa, traveller. A major-domo of hetman Stanisław Koniecpolski’s manor house; author of a diary. After the tragic death of his stepsister – Anna (1647), he founded the domed tomb chapel of the Oświęcim family at the Franciscan Convent Church. A participant of St. Czarniecki’s anti-Sweden noblemen confederacy in Tyszowce who waged campaigns against Swedes in 1656.

Robert Wojciech Portius (Robert Gilbert Porteous Lanxeth – died in 1661)
Krosno burgher of Scottish origin. From 1632, royal factor and servant, appointed the Town Commander in 1658, leaseholder of the village of Szczepańcowa and the manor in the village of Suchodół. In mid-17th century, the first among major Hungarian wine importers to the north of the Carpathians; inspirer and founder of the parish church reconstruction in the years 1637-1646, as well as of a number of other outstanding artistic realizations in the town. Ennobled in 1658. One of the streets is named after him.

Ignacy Łukasiewicz (1822-1882)
Pharmacist, originator of the Polish oil industry; participant of the conspiracy preparing the uprising in Galicia in 1846. In the years 1850-52 pharmacy student of the Jagiellonian University; designer of a prototype “kerosene lamp”, founder of the first oil producing operation in the village of Bóbrka (1854) and a distillery in Ulaszowice near Jasło (1865); founder of Krajowe Towarzystwo dla Opieki i Rozwoju Przemysłu i Górnictwa Naftowego w Galicji (National Society for Care and Development of Oil Producing and Oli Processing Industry in Galicia) (1880); initiator of the first Polish "Górnik" oil magazine. In the years 1878-81 an MP for Sejm Krajowy (the National Diet (a local legislative assembly)) from the districts of Krosno, Dukla and Żmigród; founder of a common school and lace making school, chapel and church in Chorkówka, common schools in Bóbrka, Zręcin, Żeglce; Freeman of Jasło and Krosno. Buried in the cemetery in Zręcin. Since 1961, the Ignacy Łukasiewicz Open Air Museum of the Oil Industry has functioned on the area of the oilfield in Bóbrka. One of the streets in Krosno is named after him.

Karol Klobassa-Zrencki (1823-1886)
Owner of lands in Zręcin and Bóbrka and also of the oil field in Bóbrka; student of the Vienna University of Technology and the Academy of Agriculture and Forestry in Hohenheim; founder of the schools in Zręcin, Bóbrka, Skołyszyn as well as the palace, church and cemetery chapel in Zręcin a bridge and many roads in Krosno; co-founder of the oil company (1856) and the Loan Association; Freeman of Krosno; buried in the cemetery in Zręcin. His bust is kept inside the church in Zręcin.

August Lewakowski (1833-1891)
Mayor of Krosno between 1887-1891; law graduate of the Lvov University; owner of the law office in Krosno; District Judge, Councillor of the District Council in Krosno. In 1887, he elected for the Council of State in Vienna; insurgent of the January Uprising; initiator of the construction of the access road to the railway station in Krosno, promoter of education and the weaving industry; originator of the school and trade complex. One of the streets is named after him.

Teodor Walsleben (died in 1915)
Doctor, director of the Common Hospital in Krosno; participated in the First World War; while being kept in the Russian imprisonment, he treated the sick in prisoner-of-war camps. One of the streets is named after him.

Dionizy Mazurkiewicz (1845-1902)
Doctor of medicine, municipal, forensic and railroad doctor in Krosno; Town Councillor and the activist of the Loan Association, “Zgoda” Association and the Association of Liturgical Vestments Manufacturing; participant of the January Uprising. One of the streets is named after him.

Seweryn Bieszczad (1852-1923)
Artist painter, Jan Matejko’s apprentice; graduate of the Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow; founder of an amateur theatre; activist of “Sztuka” (Fine Art) Artistic Association; painter of Krosno architecture; landscape and portrait painter. Most of his works are exhibited in the Podkarpackie Museum in Krosno. One of the streets is named after him.

Jan Zygmuntowicz (1861-1945)
Krosno craftsman; owner of the locksmith’s workshop in Krosno from 1893. Well-known for the production of window and door bars, wrought, decorative fences and wire fences very popular at that time; founder of the First National Beekeeping Equipment Factory; member and founder of the “Zgoda” Association, guild activist; winner of numerous domestic and international exhibitions.

Stanisław Bergman (1862-1930)
Artist painter, Jan Matejko’s apprentice; student of the Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow in the years 1879-1885; author of genre painting, landscapes and portraits. His famous works of art include “The Prodigal Son”, “Stanisław Oświęcim by the Body of Anna Oświęcim” – now in the collection of the Podkarpackie Museum in Krosno. One of the streets is named after him.

Andrzej Lenik (1864-1929)
Sculptor; graduate of the Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow; lived in Krosno from 1887 and had his art workshop named Artistic, Sculpting and Woodcarving Workshop (Zakład Artystyczno-Rzeźbiarsko-Snycerski) specializing mostly in manufacturing elements of church interiors; renovator of stuccowork in the Krosno parish church, the Portius (Porcjusz) family chapel and the artificial marble decoration of the Oświęcim family chapel. Author of T. Kościuszko’s monument placed amid tte ruins of the Odrzykoń castle on the 100th anniversary of the Kościuszko Insurection; activist of the „Sokół” Gymnastic Association, Amateur Theatre, Folk School Association and „Zgoda” Association; guildsman of the Great Guild between 1927-28.

Michał Mięsowicz (1864-1938)
Krosno craftsman, clock-maker, community worker; founder of the First National Factory of Tower Clocks in Krosno between 1901-1938; many-time winner of domestic and international industrial exhibitions. In 1908 he won a gold medal for the tower clock at the exhibition in Paris; member of the Town Council; between 1922-1925, performed the function of an assessor. In 1927, was elected the vice-mayor of the town of Krosno; guildsman of the Great Guild; Chairman of the Apprentice Examination Committee; Chairman of the “Zgoda” Association. One of the streets is named after him.

Franciszek Pik-Mirandola (1871-1930)
Poet, writer and translator; pharmacy graduate of the Jagiellonian University, pharmacist in Krosno, Bukowsko, Stryj; member of PIS during his studies; co-operated with socialist and left-wing magazines, which included: “Ogniwa” (Links), “Robotnik Warszawski” (Warsaw worker), “Prawa Ludu” (The Rights of the People); author of works in the collections: “Liber tristum” (1898), “Liryki” (Lyrical poems) (1901), “Tempore belli” (1916), “Tropy” (Tracks) (1919). He translated about 200 volumes of Italian, French, English and German literature; editor of “Ekran” (Screen) magazine. One of the streets is named after him.

Jędrzej Krukierek (1870-1939)
Industrialist and community worker; self-government activist (Town Councillor for many years), pro-independence activist (during the bondage after the partition of Poland) and political activist (in II Rzeczpospolita (the 2nd Republic of Poland); MP representing BBWR – No-Party-Allied Bloc for Cooperation with the Government); member and activist of local social organizations. Before the Second World War, he performed the function of the vice-mayor (in the years 1914-15 he replaced an absent mayor). In the years 1926-39, mayor of Krosno. During his term of office, Krosno received a water-pipe network, the airfield was electrified, the hospital was extended and the municipal park was arranged in the Zawodzie district. He died in Krosno and was buried in the municipal cemetery.
                                                                            
Jan Szczepanik (1872-1926)
Inventor, designer called the “Polish Einstein”. Edison????, inventor of telectroscope (electric television – 1897), a mechanic device for tapestry weaving (1896), a colour-metre, bullet-proof material, a self-activating regulator of chimney draught; constructor of a wireless telegraph and planes with mobile wings; author of many projects of films, artistic photography, television and weaving. One of the streets and the Secondary School Complex No. 1 are named after him.

Józef Jan Krukierek (1888-1950)
Graduate of the Teachers College for Men in Krosno, legionary (in the 6th infantry regiment of the 2nd Legion Brigade), teacher, community worker and cultural activist, founder and editor of „Głos Krośnieński” (Krosno Voice) – a newspaper of the Legion Association and BBWR – No-Party-Allied Bloc for Cooperation with the Government (8 issues appeared in 1928/29); author of scientific publications – “Paweł z Krosna” (Paul of Krosno) (1935), “Przewodnik turystyczny po Krośnie i oloklicy” (“Tourist Guide to Krosno and the Krosno Region”) (1936), publisher of postcards with the views of Krosno; awarde the Gold Cross of Merit, the Legionary Cross, Medal of Independence.

August Mazurkiewicz (1889-1968)
teacher, cultural activist, conservator and regionalist; student of the Faculty of Philosophy at the Jagiellonian University; participated in the First World War; teacher in the Teachers College in Krosno and the Primary School in Krościenko Niżne between 1919-1934. Until 1952, he was a Regional Conservator in Rzeszów. One of the founders of the Association of Friends of the Krosno Region, the Amateur Astronomers Association, and also the PTTK (Polish Tourist Country-Lovers’ Association) Museum of the Krosno Region; enthusiast and collector of Krosno-related iconographic and historical materials.

Zdzisław Truskolaski (1899-1949)
Artist, painter, graduate of the Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow, founder of the Association of Painters in Krosno. He organized the first painting exhibition after the War (March 1945). Founder of the Drawing and Painting School in Krosno (1945), initiated “Art”, a biweekly of the Association of Painters in Krosno. Truskolaski’s paintings are displayed in the National Museum in Cracow, the Sub-Carpathian Museum (Muzeum Podkarpackie) in Krosno, the Regional Museum in Jasło.


Juliusz Ross (1920-1976)
Art historian, academic teacher at the Jagiellonian University (1949-61) and the Academy of Fine Arts (1961-76); outstanding expert, research worker, enthusiast, popularizer and conservator of monuments in Krosno and the Krosno region; author of more than 60 works, articles and studies dedicated to fine arts and the issue of protection and conservation of monuments. A dozen or so of them refer to the artistic past and the art of the Krosno region, including Krosno, for which he was given a title of a Freeman of Krosno; died in Krosno; buried in the municipal cemetary.

Stanisław Kochanek (1905-1995)
Born in Jedlicze in 1905; attended the School of Artistic Industry in Cracow. Between 1929-32, he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow. His masters were Xawery Dunikowski, professor Fryderyk Pastuch, an outstanding graphic artist and caricaturist, Jan Wojnarski, a sculptor, professor Karol Frycz, an excellent graphic artist and painter. He led his artistic life first in Jedlicze and then in Krosno where he lived until death. He exhibited his paintings in Rzeszów, Cracow, Krosno, Warsaw and also abroad in Russia and Hungary and in other galleries. He was devoted to portrait painting, stage design (scenography) and drawing. Co-founder of the Museum in Krosno; died in Krosno in 1995. One of the streets is named after him.

Józef Cisowski (1907-2006)
Born in Targowiska on 5th March 1907. He learned the locksmith trade in plants connected with the oil industry in Męcina, Jaszczew, Potok and in the vocational school in Krosno; studied at the State Industrial School in Cracow and then at the Teachers College in Warsaw. In the years 1927-81, he had one of the most modern locksmith’s workshops in Krosno with about 70 employees; soldier of the Polish Home Army during the Second World War; weaponry was for the resistance troops was produced as clandestine activity in his workshop. He also devoted himself to clandestine teaching of young people. He taught a record number of 240 students. For more than 50 years, he was a member of the Guild Management Board and – after he went into retirement – he was awarded a title of Honourable Senior Guildsman of the Guild of Various Crafts in Krosno. He had numerous patents and diplomas for improvement designs and inventions; founder of many institutions for craftsmen and originator and co-founder of the Craft Museum in Krosno. Awarded with the Kiliński’s sabre – the most prestigious award in the Polish craft movement and with many orders for social and vocational activity. 

Multimedia

  •  

Trumpet-call