A A A
  • Deutsch
  • Polska
Saturday, 25 November 2017, Nameday: Erazma, Katarzyny

Edewecht

Edewecht

Edewecht – a town situated in Low Saxony, to the west of Oldenburg, with the population of 18 000, about 1700 km away from Krosno.

The first confirmed historical mention about Edewecht locality comes from 1150. In 1242 the village of Edewecht erected a church dedicated to St. Nicolas. In the Middle Ages Edewecht was one of the wealthiest villages of Ammerland. Generally speaking Edewecht belongs to the oldest villages and settlements in the area.

The 15th century was the time of turmoils and disasters for Edewecht, the most dangerous of which was the plague in 1450. Yet, at the same time the first water-mill was built in Edewecht. A few years later, in 1457 a windmill was erected as well. Unfortunately the rest of the 15th century brought a series of disasters including fires, the most devastating ones in 1474 and 1476. There were also fires in 1538 and  1624.

At the beginning of 18th century the commune of Edewecht had 916 inhabitants. In 1730s the first attempts were made to build ships and boats. After 1800 this industry was thriving. Many ships built in Edewecht cruised seas and oceans all over the globe. All this contributed to the fast growth of Edewecht and, as a result, the place had 2,091 inhabitants at the beginning of the 19th century.
In the years 1827-1844 Edewecht experienced a period of prosperity connected with digging peat from neighbouring deposits. At the end of the 19th century, apart from shipbuilding, Edewecht had water mills and windmills, numerous craft workshops, a brickyard, two breweries and booming trade. As a result at the beginning of the 20th century the number of inhabitants rose up to 3,435.

In 1912 a narrow-gauge railway was opened to service the peat production industry. Unfortunately, the line was closed in 1991. After World War I, in 1925, the Hunte-Ems-Kanal was opened, which allowed building bigger boats, which could be transported to the North Sea. Shortly before World War II, Edewecht had 7,117 inhabitants.

World War II left Edewecht in ruins and cinders. Everythig had to be started from scratch. In a relatively short period of time Edewecht managed to develop many industries and now the village is well-developed with more than 18,000 inhabitants and is counted among the wealthiest municipalities in Germany. The companies based in Edewecht sell their products not only in Germany but all over the world.

The first partner contacts were established in the mid-1990s. An official agreement about cooperation between the two towns was signed in Edewecht on 20th June, 1996. Since that time the contacts have been developed systematically in many fields in spite of a great distance between both towns.
The expansion of the waste water treatment plant in Krosno was the most important sphere of cooperation. The authorities of Edewecht rendered considerable help to the authorities of Krosno, offering technical consulting during implementation of the investment project. The technical solutions applied in the waste water treatment plant in Edewecht became models for those in Krosno. Thanks to the German party it was possible to obtain almost PLN 4 million for this investment from the Foundation for Polish-German Cooperation. Thanks to support of the authorities of Edewecht some substantial means could be acquired for the repair of the roof on the parish church – the Minor Basilica, and redecoration of the building of the Secondary School of General Education No 1.

During the meetings of the representatives of the authorities of both towns the information and experience were exchanged about solving self-government problems. An official delegation from Krosno took part in the celebrations of the 850th anniversary of Edewecht.
Sport contacts are frequent as well. Table tennis players and dancers from Krosno participated several times in tournaments in Edewecht.

A few companies from Krosno, including Nowy Styl and Józefina Glass Plant, were represented at economic fairs in Edewecht in 1999.

A delegation from Germany took part in opening of the waste water treatment plant in Krosno in September 2000.
Contacts between the police forces and the municipal police departments have been established.

Multimedia

  •  

Trumpet-call